Kudos™ brand MN33 apple variety produces attractive, well colored fruit with a unique combination of traits including an excellent crisp, juicy texture and a sweet, well balanced flavor with occasional tropical overtones.
Kudos™ was developed by crossing the U of M hits Honeycrisp and Zestar!®, making it a sister to the popular SweeTango® apple. It will be ready to harvest in late September, similar to or slightly later than its parent Honeycrisp, and is hardy to USDA Zone 4.
Kudos™ brand MN33 has been released as an “open variety” (tree royalty only) and growers may purchase trees directly from nurseries licensed by the University of Minnesota. It was released to nurseries for propagation in 2022 and orchards have been placing orders for trees to plant.
Consumers will need to wait to get their first bite of Kudos™ as it takes several years for new trees to bear fruit.
Honeycrisp X Minnewashta (known as Zestar!®)
- Late September; similar to Honeycrisp or up to 1 week later.
- Size: 2.9 – 3.2 inches
- Skin color: 85-95% blushed red
- Texture: very crisp and juicy; usually 17-19 lbs pressure at harvest
- Flavor: sweet, well balanced; sometimes with tropical overtones.
- Storage life: up to 5 months in common storage (without 1-MCP).
- Vigor: medium to high
- Form: spreading
- Fruit adherence: good
- Cropping: consistent annual bearing
- Hardiness: USDA zone 4
- Scab: somewhat tolerant; similar to Honeycrisp
- Fire blight: not observed
Kudos™ (MN33 variety) is a registered trademark owned by the Regents of the University of Minnesota.